This Cheesy Eggplant Bake is the easy dinner and is super kid friendly. It's easy, healthy and so delicious!
I love the combination of the eggplant, mozzarella, bocconcini and tomato napolitana sauce.
Plus, this dish serves up as an amazing leftover - hello, work lunches - if you don't devour the whole thing at once!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Medium eggplants
- 6 Cherry bocconcini
- 250g Shredded mozarella
- 3 Cups Napolitana sauce
- 1 Handful of basil leaves (optional)
- 3 Tbsp salt (for the water)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cut eggplants lengthways, into 0.5cm slices (or as thin as you can do!)
- Place eggplants in a large bowl and fill with water until the eggplant is completely submerged. (if you don't have a big enough bowl, split it between two or three) Add the 3 tbsp of salt to the water and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain eggplants and pat dry. Place onto a lined baking tray (or two) and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a deep baking dish, spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce and spread from edge to edge to ensure nothing sticks.
- Layer with eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish and top with 3 bocconcini balls ripped in half. Add a ladleful of sauce and continue layering with the eggplants and alternating between mozzarella cheese and bocconcini balls on each layer.
- The last layer should be eggplant, sauce and mozzarella.
- Cover with alfoil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove alfoil for the last 10 minutes to brown.