Needing a new zucchini recipe?
This one is SO delicious! Light, hearty and super healthy!
It's is the perfect dinner idea to get some extra veggies into you, and really kid friendly so the whole family will love it.
Plus, these Healthy Zucchini Bolognese Boats are so easy to make and the beef bolognese sauce takes it to the next level!!
Are you ready for this amazingness?
6 whole zucchinis, cut lengthways
1 large brown onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red chilli, finely sliced
4 mushrooms, sliced
500g lean beef mince
800g can of diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp mustard powder
3 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Slice the zucchini lengthways and scrape out the middle using a small spoon, keeping a small edging around the zucchini. Keep the insides!
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil over a medium to high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chilli to the hot pot until onion becomes translucent, around 3-4 minutes.
- Add zucchini insides and mushroom and cook until all water evaporates from the bottom of the pot, around 6-8 minutes.
- Add mince and use your stirring utensil to break apart the mince into small pieces. Cook until mince is browned and all water have evaporated from the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomato paste and canned tomato and continue to stir.
- Add mustard powder, salt, oregano, pepper and stir.
- Add grated cheese to the pot and continue to stir.
- Cover with a lid and leave sauce to simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Spoon the bolognese sauce into the zucchini boats and top with extra parmesan cheese.
- Place into the oven for 40 minutes or until cooked well.