Oh YES, It's lasagna time!! Im super excited about this recipe, because its SOO delicious, but also really light and GREAT for a family dinner (they wont even know there is no pasta in it, I promise!). Get your veggies and cheese ready because its about to go down.
900g beef mince
1 brown onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3 400g cans of crushed tomatoes
1 cups passata sauce
1 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp pepper
1 eggplant, sliced as thin as possible lengthways
1 small sweet potato, sliced as thin as possible, lengthways
10 fresh basil leaves
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil over a medium to high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add mince into the pot and cook for 10 minutes or until the water evaporates from the bottom. Use your cooking utensil to break up the mince into small pieces.
- Add crushed tomatoes, passata and water into the pot and heat through for 5 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, mustard powder and dried oregano into the pot and stir for 1 minute. Taste here – if you need more seasoning, add it now!
- Simmer sauce for 20 minutes on a low heat.
- On the bottom of a baking dish, add a spoonful of the sauce and spread around to ensure nothing sticks.
- Begin to layer with the eggplants, sauce and a handful of cheese. Repeat, using a different vegetable each time (sweet potato or zucchini) until the dish is full. Top with cheese.
- Add fresh basil over the top and cover with foil.
- Place into the oven for 30 minutes. Uncover, and place in oven again for 10 minutes.
Hope you absolutely love this recipe! If you do make it, Please come and show me over on Instagram or Facebook and don't forget to #leahitsines
Love Leah x