YUMM! Are you a vegetarian? or have any veggie friends? This recipe is PERFECT!
Serves: 4 (1 boat each)
2 medium eggplants
3 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red chilli, finely sliced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp tomato paste
400ml can chopped tomato’s
Pinch of salt (be generous!)
Pinch of pepper (be generous!)
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
20g Feta cheese (optional, remove if vegan)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Slice eggplants in half and coat with olive oil.
- On a lined baking tray, Place into the oven for 20 minutes or until eggplant is almost cooked through. To test this, prick the flesh with a fork or skewer. If they’re soft, it’s ready!
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant making sure the outside of the shell is still intact - keep eggplant flesh aside as you'll need this for later.
- Over high heat on a nonstick pan saute olive oil, chilli, onion and garlic until browned.
- Add cumin, oregano, cinnamon and reserved eggplant flesh and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper and mix through thoroughly. When mixture is combined take off heat and set aside.
- Add the mixture to the eggplant skins and place back onto the lined baking tray.
- Place into in the oven again for roughly 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and feta.