This vegan lentil bolognese sauce is the best! It's seriously delicious but also incredibly healthy and easy to make.
You'll be loving every single bite!
Plus, it's an amazing batch cooking recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family, including kids, or be served up as leftovers for work lunches.
It's a win win!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, diced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 3 button mushrooms, finely diced
- 800g tinned tomatoes, crushed
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- Pasta to serve 4
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions (up to you for how many you're serving!)
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chilli, carrot, celery and mushrooms to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes or until veggies begin to soften.
- Add dried lentils, tinned tomatoes and water (or vegetable stock) and season with salt, pepper and dried oregano. *Be generous with the salt and pepper here as it is a large pot :)
- Leave to simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are completely cooked. If it's looking like it needs more liquid, add 1/2 a cup at a time until lentils are fully cooked.
- In the last few minutes, throw in the fresh basil and serve with pasta.