Apricot chicken is a dish that initially I was a little concerned with, like the idea of apricot and chicken together.. I was just unsure! But I tell you what, after ACTUALLY trying it, I was seriously so surprised with the taste! I just loved how soft the chicken went in this recipe and the flavour of the sauce. I can absolutely understand why apricot chicken is a family favourite for SO many of you!
If you haven't tried this combo, you need too! For a quick, easy and delicious dinner that you can make in under an hour.. here's my Apricot Chicken Bowls recipe.
Apricot Chicken Bowls
Cook time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 4-5 chicken thigh fillets, excess fat removed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 x 400g can apricot halves in juice (low sugar)
- 2 tbsp French onion soup mix
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- Cracked pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil in the pot over a medium to high heat. Add chicken thigh to the pot and lightly brown, coating the chicken with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic into the pot and stir for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add apricot halves and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock and fresh onion soup powder. Add chicken thigh and bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Add a lid and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and allow the mixture to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Pour apricot sauce over the top and mix through. Add as much as you think you need to coat the chicken.
- Serve with rice and broccoli!