This recipe is a little tricky, but so worth it! The recipe has come straight from yiayias, so you know it's going to be good!
250g penne pasta
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
2 whole cloves
tsp all spice
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
500g lean beef mince
1 tbsp tomato paste
400g can of chopped/crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup of red wine
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
3/4 cup of plain flour
3/4 cup of butter
750mL of warm milk
1 & 1/2 cups of Keflagraviera cheese or parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Boil pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water and cook until al dente.
- After straining the pasta, add the pasta to a seperate bowl with the olive oil and leave to cool.
- Add mince to a hot non-stick pan and sauté until excess water evaporates and mince is browned. Add onion, red wine, garlic, oregano, rosemary, cloves, all spice and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low and let the meat simmer for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt butter in a seperate sauce pan and add flour and stir for roughly 2 minutes then remove the pan from the heat.
- Now slowly add milk to the mixture and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and thick. Top with a lid and let the sauce cool for 10 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs and half of the cheese to the mixture.
- Oil your casserole dish, layer the bottom of your dish with pasta and cheese.
- Cover with meat sauce and then add the béchamel sauce to top.
- Bake in an oven for 45 minutes, uncovered until golden brown.