This is a super easy, veggie packed version of bolognese! It's also packed with protein with the mushrooms and the brown lentils! This batch is quite big, so if you're not feeding as many, freeze the leftovers into single serves for a quick and easy dinner :)
Serves 6 - 8 (freezable!!)
1 carrot, grated
1 leek, finely sliced
2 medium zucchinis, grated
8 button mushrooms, sliced
400g canned brown lentils, drained
1 brown onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup semi sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 long red chilli, deseeded and sliced
2 x 400g cans of crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Dried thyme leaves
2 dried bay leaves
1/2 tsp mustard powder
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a non-stick deep pot, heat olive oil over high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chilli and leek to the pot and cook for 3 minutes, or until leek begins to soften.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, carrot and cook for 15 minutes until veggies have complelty softened.
- Add semi sun-dried tomatoes and brown lentils and cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and water. Add salt, pepper, thyme leaves, bay leaves and mustard powder. Heat for 3 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with cooked pasta and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or vegan cheese!