A lot of the store bought marinades have a crazy high sugar content, so we could all do a little DIY. This recipe is quick and super delicious!
450g beef strips, cut thinly
1/2 cup of soy sauce
3 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp organic honey
2 tbsp of mirin (sweet rice vinegar)
2 tbsp. of ginger (grated)
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
1/2 cup basmati rice, uncooked & washed
1 & 1/4 cup of chicken stock
1 small brown onion
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp. sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp fresh coriander (optional)
- Place ginger, soy sauce, chilli, garlic, sesame oil, honey and mirin into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the beef to the bowl of marinade and let it sit for 1-2 hours to marinate.
- In a small pot (with a lid) heat butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add the brown onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add washed rice to the pot and stir. Add chicken stock into the pot and stir around. place lid on top and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and put a 12 minute timer on. Leave to cook.
- In a small pan, heat a small amount of olive oil and add broccoli florets. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove broccoli from the pan and begin to cook the beef in batches. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan as you can "stew" the meat and it will become tough. Smaller the batch, the better!
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on the pan or until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with rice, broccoli and a sprinkle of sesame seeds and fresh coriander!