This is an amazing easy dinner recipe!
I love this Spicy Roast Chicken because all you have to do is marinate and pop in the oven.
How simple is that?
Plus, it's a great healthy and delicious recipe for when you don't have the energy to cook.
Cook time: 2 hours
Prep time: 15 minutes
1.5 - 2kg whole chicken, raw
2 spring onion stalks, sliced thinly
10 basil leaves, chopped finely
2 thyme sprigs, chopped finely
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried coriander
2 tbsp olive oil
Added veggies (optional)
2 white potatoes, cut into wedges
2 carrots, quartered
2 brown onions, quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius
- In a mixing bowl, add the spring onion, thyme, basil, tomato paste garlic cloves, lime juice, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, dried coriander and olive oil and mix well.
- At the tip of the chicken breast, lift up the skin and seperate from the breast (without tearing!), Pull gently to seperate.
- Divide the mixture into three and place one third down one half of the breast, and then repeat down the other half.
- Use the last third of the mixture and rub all over the chicken.
- With a generous hand, sprinkle salt ALL over the chicken.
- Using a piece of twine, tie a knot around the legs, and bring the remaining twine through the thigh fillet and then turn the chicken over. Tie a knot around the back to keep it in place.
- Place into a nonstick baking tray and into the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove after the hour and throw in the veggies with a little splash of olive olive oillace 1 half of the lemon inside the chicken cavity, and the other just loose in the tray.
Tip: Every 30 minutes, remove from oven and using a spoon, spoon the pan juices over the top for 1 minute. This keeps it super juicy!