This is something I hadn't tried before, but my friend swore that as soon as I tried it, I'd want to make it every day and she is SO RIGHT! It's delicious and so light!
2 medium eggplants, sliced lengthways
2 tbsp white miso paste
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthways, and then using a small sharp knife, create a diamond pattern through the eggplant flesh, trying not to pierce all the way through.
- In a small bowl, add miso paste, mirin, sesame oil and soy sauce together and mix well (you may need a small whisk!)
- Heat a medium non stick pan over high heat with a small splash of olive oil.
- Place the eggplants face down on the pan and cook until lightly golden brown on each side.
- Once lightly golden, place onto a liked baking tray, flesh side facing up. Cook for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven and using a basting brush, smear the miso mixture evenly over the eggplants. Place back into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and if not super golden brown, place under the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with sesame seeds and flaked almonds.