This is some dirty....delicious....next level Mac and cheese! ITS SO GOOOOOD!
250g elbow pasta
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 bacon rashers, diced
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup plain flour
750ml whole milk
3 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby, mozzarella)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp. Fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions (minus 1 minute!) set aside to cool once cooked.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Using a small pan with a tiny splash of olive oil, add bacon and cook for 5 minutes until bacon is beginning to crisp. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Once melted, add flour and mix for one minute. Use a whisk to separate the clumps.
- Add 250ml of milk, stirring to try to dissolve the flour paste into the milk.
- Add remaining milk and continue to whisk until lump free.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder and fresh parsley. Stir through.
- Stir for 8-10 minutes until the milk has thickened to a cream like consistency. A way to check this is, coat a spoon in the mixture and using the back of the spoon, you should be able to draw a thick pathway with your finger.
- Remove from stove and add cheese. Mix through.
- Add the cooked elbow pasta into the pot and stir through, ensuring to coat well.
- Top with cooked bacon and panko crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes ot until the top is lightly golden brown.