I went around the office and asked what everyone's food traditions are for their Christmas Lunch or Dinner.. and because Mitch is Italian, he said that they have Lasagne... as an ENTRÉE! And of course I was like.. "um.. EPIC.. I need to be a part of this" 😂 I can totally understand why they have a tray of lasagne every Christmas.. when you've got your Nonna (Italian grandmother) making her special homestyle recipe for you and your family, Christmas is DEFINITELY the time to be savouring it! entrée
So for the SIXTH DAY of Christmas in this special Christmas series, unleash your inner-Mitch (inner-Italian) and bake up this AMAZING tray of Italian Beef Lasagne! 🔽
Serves: 6-8 people
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
600g beef mince
375g packet of lasagne sheets
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 long red chilli, deseeded and sliced
1 large brown onion, diced
700ml passata sauce
700ml water or chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp mustard powder
10 basil leaves
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil over a high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, chilli into the pot and stir for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add beef mince into the pot and using your coking utensil, break the mince up into small pieces. Cook until all water has evaporated from the bottom of the pot.
- Once beef is cooked, add passata sauce, water, salt, pepper, oregano, mustard powder and basil leaves. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Depending on what lasagne sheets you use, cook according to packet instructions.
- In a deep dish, spoon a small amount of the sauce onto the bottom, edge to edge to ensure nothing sticks. Layer the sheets on the bottom, then top with a layer of sauce and a layer of mozzarella.
- On the next layer, add sheets, sauce and top this time with parmesan (whilst layering, change between mozzarella and parmesan)
- Continue layering until you reach the top.
- Cover with al-foil and place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot!