So this is for those of us who LOVE spice! This sauce is super hot, but it is seriously amazing on steaks, or even thrown into a pasta dish for extra flavour!
Makes 2 cups of chilli sauce.
1 medium brown onion
4 long red chilli, tops cut off (seeds kept inside!)
1 red capsicum, deseeded
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 lime, juiced
pinch of salt & pepper
1/2 tbsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor, add chilli, onion, capsicum, garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Blend until each ingredient is finely diced.
- In a large, non-stick pan, heat a splash of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the chilli mixture into the pan and stir for 5 minutes, or until mixture has completely softened.
- Add the tomatoes into the food processor and blend for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and add mustard powder, cayenne pepper and a touch more salt. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, place into a blender and blend until a paste like consistency.
- Using a funnel, funnel the chilli sauce into a bottle, or air tight container. Keep in fridge for up to 4-6 weeks.
This recipe can also be frozen! So don't be afraid to make a big batch and freeze it.