This Herb Roast Chicken and Veggies recipe is the perfect one-tray dinner!
It's super easy to put together and is packed - I mean PACKED! with delicious flavour.
One tray chicken bakes are amazing for when you're craving a warm and healthy yet filling meal or are too tired to cook.
Simply, chop, season and put in the oven. Done and done!
1 whole chicken (2kg)
2 small stick of butter (40gish)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
10 fresh mint leaves, chopped
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 lemon, halved
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium brown onions, quartered
2 large carrots, quartered
2 large potatoes, sliced into wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chopped parsley, mint, oregano, basil and garlic cloves. Add olive oil, 1 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper. Mix well.
- At the tip of the chicken breast, lift up the skin and seperate from the breast (without tearing!), Pull gently to seperate.
- Divide the herb mixture into three and place one third down one half of the breast, and then repeat down the other half.
- Place one small stick of butter down each breast.
- Use the last third of the herb mixture and rub all over the chicken.
- With a generous hand, sprinkle salt ALL over the chicken.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions to a deep baking dish and sprinkle with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place 1 half of the lemon inside the chicken cavity, and the other just loose in the tray.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and place into the oven for 1.5 hours.
Tip: Every 30 minutes, remove from oven and using a spoon, spoon the pan juices over the top for 1 minute. This keeps it super juicy!