These are the BEST thing to make and keep in the fridge! My yiayia loves them as a little side to dinner, or on top of toast in the morning! They're a typical mediteraninan style side!
5 medium white zucchinis (you can use green ones, but the white are more crunchy!)
2 tbsp. salt
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
1 cup olive oil
1 cup rice bran oil (or any light oil)
1 tsp dried oregano
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Half the zucchini's lengthways and then half again (so quartered). Remove the inside of the zucchini (keep this, you can make zucchini fritters!).
- Slice the remaining zucchini into long strips.
- Place all zucchini strips into a large bowl and sprinkle salt over the top (this may seem like a lot of salt, but don't stress!) Leave in a sieve with a bowl underneath to catch the water. Keep this in the fridge for 5-6 hours, to really extract the excess water.
- In a deep pot, heat 1 cups of white vinegar with 2 cups of water. (If you're making more, always do 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water). Bring this to a boil and add the salted zucchini to the pot.
- Leave to boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Drain, and leave to cool.
- Add zucchini into a large container and top with garlic, oregano, olive oil and rice bran oil.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 4-6 weeks!