Yummm!!! It's winter time here in Australia and that means SOUPS for days! I'm all about soups and I'm all about cheese so this recipe is a total winner!
800g cauliflower (one large head), cut into florets
350g white potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium brown onion, diced
1 spring onion, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped finely
4 cups chicken stock (1L)
200g cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp. olive oil
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil over medium to high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, thyme and spring onion to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add potato and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stirring constantly so the potato does not burn the bottom.
- Add cauliflower to the pot along with the chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture for 20-30 minutes or until cauliflower and potatoes are soft.
- Take the soup off heat. Using a stick blender, mash the cauliflower and potatoes until a fine thick consistency. If it's too thick, add a touch more stock and keep blending!
- Place the soup back on heat and add the cheddar. Stir to mix through. Season with salt and pepper here again if you think it needs it! (always taste test!!
- Serve with some fresh thyme, spring onions or more pepper!